1. When an emergency vehicle is approaching that is displaying lights and sirens, what should I do?
Please pull to the right and stop.  This will allow fire apparatus or other emergency vehicles adequate and clear lanes to safely and quickly continue its response.

2. Why does the emergency equipment run with lights and sirens then just turn them off?
On occasion, the fire engine and ambulance will be driving with lights and sirens and then suddenly turn them off – perhaps only to turn into a shopping centre parking lot or side street.  Be assured that when this happens it means we have received information through our 9-1-1 dispatchers that the caller or incident is no longer a dire emergency.  It is what we call “being cancelled.”  Any or all of the apparatus may continue to drive to the call or perhaps some will return to the fire hall, but we do not do it just to get to the store faster.  “We promise!”

3. What type of fire extinguisher is best for my home?
A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home.  Look for the rating to be at least 2A:10B:C on the label.  The extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home.  It will often be labeled A-B-C and may be located at many retail establishments.

4. Why do you send a fire engine when I called for an ambulance?
All Cranbrook Fire & Emergency Services fire fighters are trained as Emergency Medical Responder (EMR).  During a medical emergency, minutes in fact seconds count.  The response of the closest fire engine to your emergency brings trained firefighters to your home or office within minutes.  Emergency lifesaving equipment such as oxygen, defibrillator and other medical equipment are carried on the fire engine for use by these trained firefighters.  It is necessary to have more than two people perform certain treatments such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation while moving a patient.  At traffic accidents the fire engine personnel keep the area safe if there are fuel spills, fire and extricating the person from the wreckage.

5. Why do we break windows and doors or put holes in your roof?
Fire produces smoke, hot gases, as well as temperatures over 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit.  At times, it is necessary to eliminate heat, smoke and hot gases before firefighters can enter to extinguish the fire.  The ventilation must be done quickly to help reduce fire spread and smoke damage. Often, walls must be forcibly opened to check for “hidden fire.”  After the fire is extinguished, the damage may appear unnecessary; however, without the use of these firefighting techniques, complete fire suppression and overall damage control is extremely difficult and dangerous for your fire personnel.

6. How often should I change my smoke alarm battery?
You should change your smoke alarm battery twice per year.  A good reminder is to change your battery when you change your clock for the time change.

7. Where should smoke alarms be placed in my home?
Residential smoke detectors are early warning devices to wake a sleeping person, and should be placed in each bedroom (sleeping area) and in the hallway leading to the bedrooms.  As well, smoke alarms should be located on each floor level and must be interconnected.

8. Are all bedrooms required to have a window?
The BC Building Code generally requires every bedroom in a dwelling to have an outside window that can be used as an emergency exit.  The window opening must be at least .35 meters squared with no dimension less than 380 millimeters.

9. Can I burn my yard debris or have a campfire?
Burning of yard debris is prohibited.  Open air burning is restricted to burning of land clearing debris between November 1st and April 30th.  A permit is required and a number of conditions apply to burning of land clearing debris.  Cooking and campfires in open air are permitted within acceptable fire pits, chimeneas and approved stoves.  See Cranbrook Fire & Emergency website for Land Clearing Debris Permit and cooking campfire conditions and information.

10. Are fireworks allowed in Cranbrook?
No persons shall store, sell, possess or discharge Low Hazard fireworks anywhere in the City.  The possession and discharge of fireworks are limited to Display Fireworks by a qualified person and provided a valid permit is first obtained from the Director of Fire & Emergency Services.  Permit and display conditions are available here.

  • Share This: